Pages

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Gratitude

Well I’m so pleased to say that patience and hope have gotten me through a trial that lasted about seven months and now it’s over! I’m immensely grateful for current blessings in my life right now. We just found out we are expecting another baby which is what I have been focusing my prayers on for quite a while now. It’s easy to feel grateful right now in my life but what I realize is that gratitude is something we must have during all times of our lives. Even the hard times. It’s hard to feel grateful when you feel like your prayers aren’t being answered or that your righteous desire is being overlooked. I got to a point where it was easier to feel picked on and hurt instead of looking to understand God’s plan for me. I want to feel grateful for all things and not just when a specific blessing comes my way.

I decided to look up talks that would help me understand how I can be better about feeling gratitude during times where it may be hard to feel grateful and I found a wonderful quote by Elder Uchtdorf. He said, “Sooner or later, I believe that all of us experience times when the very fabric of our world tears at the seams, leaving us feeling alone, frustrated, and adrift. It can happen to anyone. No one is immune. We can be grateful. Everyone’s situation is different, and the details of each life are unique. Nevertheless, I have learned that there is something that would take away the bitterness that may come into our lives. There is one thing we can do to make life sweeter, more joyful, even glorious. We can be grateful!”. He goes on to add, “It might sound contrary to the wisdom of the world to suggest that one who is burdened with sorrow should give thanks to God. But those who set aside the bottle of bitterness and lift instead the goblet of gratitude can find a purifying drink of healing, peace, and understanding.”

I want and need to remember that gratitude is not something I should just feel when something happens that benefits me. Elder Uchtdorf mentioned something that I found insightful when he said that we can make a personal choice on whether or not we are going to limit our gratitude based on the blessings we feel we lack. Or we can choose to have an unfaltering grateful heart. The choice is ours. We have the power to choose to be grateful in any circumstance we might find ourselves in. Being grateful might not change the circumstance but it will change your heart. Not only will it change your heart but it can also heal you and bring you peace even in the middle of trials. Gratitude if allowed can be more powerful than disappointment, discouragement and despair. I made the mistake of waiting to express gratitude until after my prayers were answered. I could have chosen to express gratitude a month ago, two months ago and even seven months ago when I got my first negative pregnancy test. I allowed myself to go through a dark time where I could have been using gratitude to help me feel the peace that I desperately needed a few months ago. Being grateful during hard times does not mean that you are happy with the situation you’re in, but it does mean that you have faith in God and his plan for you.

Those who are grateful are happier people. I’m grateful that a few months ago I felt the need to strengthen my relationship with my Heavenly Father. I’m grateful for the topics I’ve studied (adversity, patience, hope) because this helped me feel peace in my circumstance and I did feel closer to my father in heaven. I’m grateful for future topics I will study. I’m grateful for my husband, my daughter and now soon to be new family member. Life is good. And in the future if I ever lose sight and think that life is not as good as I would like, I’ll have to remember that gratitude can be felt in any circumstance and at any time.



No comments:

Post a Comment